Re: 10g upgrade survey

From: Syed Jaffar Hussain <sjaffarhussain_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 09:47:19 +0300

Williams,

You have missed another option of upgrade from 9i to 10g, i.e., transportable tablespaces. I know in 9i, it only works on the same OS. If you are going to upgrade 9i database to 10g, transportable tablespace option also very handy. As 9i datafile are 10g compartible, it can be done with minimal downtime as well.

  1. Install 10g on the target, create db with all the users
  2. On source, bring all the tablespace to read only mode.
  3. Export with transportable tablespaces.
  4. move all the datafiles from source to target (this is only the time consuming process)
  5. Import at target.

We have done with couple of database where it took very minimal downtime.

Of course, you need to see the possibilties and all the aspect before you choose any method.

We have also done in-place upgrade (manual upgrade).

Jaffar

--
Best Regards,
Syed Jaffar Hussain

http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#hussain
"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."