Re: HELP!!! HORRIBLE ARCHITECTURE

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 21:07:04 +0000

It strikes me that what you need is not a smart architecture but a competent program manager and a development program and schedule. When I came here we had, for one of the 3 business critical systems I support, 8 dev environments, 2 DBAs reporting to me and no concentration on the other systems at all. We now have 4 dev environments, one consolidated test environment and prod, we also have regular program meetings. We also know about how the other systems work as well. It isn't great - too many clone requests per month, but it is manageable. It's the program management that has made the biggest difference. I do claim credit for insisting on change control and regression testing as per your last email, but really it's the business getting a handle on development that is the key.

Incidentally, one side effect of change control and regression testing by end users is that the teams 'requiring' the 10 different developments simultaneously will likely find they need to resource appropriate testing. This is likely to be a greater strain on them than you and is a great way of discovering the business's real priorities.

cheers

Niall

--
Niall Litchfield