Re: decision to use or not use an rman catalog?

From: <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 13:40:33 +0000

is there a bigger risk when using rman in anyway? I do not have tape backups yet or a SAN. Just using a simple RAID device attached to each box. The hardware is coming, but no ETA. This project is in its early stages however, its high profile.

The best I can do for backups is store production in development and development in production.

Do I need to make seperate backups of the control files since I would be using RMAN without the recovery catalog?

Ryan,

As other already suggested unless you dont concern storing rman scripts and not borther about the long history of your backups, you can have rman w/o. By the default control file record time is 7 days, if you wish, you can modify the parameter to have longer history, in this case, you control file grows in size.

Jaffar
On 2/27/07, ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net > wrote: We have 1 development box, 1 test database, and one production database all about 10 GBs each. I am the sole Oracle person on the team. My background is more on the developer side than DBA side.

I was considering using RMAN without a recovery catalog to handle backups. Is there much risk in this? Other than multiplexing control files and backing them up what other precautions should I take? We don't have a tape or offsite backup system in place yet either. Hoping to get one soon.

I want to keep this rather simple.

--
Best Regards,
Syed Jaffar Hussain

http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#hussain
"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."