Re: What to keep in ASM?

From: Alex Gorbachev <gorbyx_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:22:50 -0500

See inline...

On 2/26/07, Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us> wrote:
> On 2/25/07, Alex Gorbachev <gorbyx_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > Keeping controlfiles/redo on ASM partially, why would you even want to
> > consider it?
> > Your complex configuration gives you more troubles than benefits -
> > it's just a mess of different storage technologies.
>
> So you're suggesting to keep controlfiles/redo completely in ASM? Or
> completely on another filesystem?

If I was you, I wouldn't go to the non-standard setup without a reason. multiplexing controlfiles and redo logs over ASM and filesystem is a non-standard configuration and I also don't see a reason for doing it. If you think it would add you resiliency - describe why.

> > You might have a reason not to trust your backups to ASM but (if you
> > are on RAC) you would need cluster file system then.
>
> No this is just a single-instance. Thanks.

In this case I would doubt if you really need ASM at all but that's another story. ;-)

> > To get your backup to another host here is an option (just a sketch):
> > Create separate ASM DG with LUNs visible from both - production and
> > development server. Instead of rsync, use RMAN to backup your FRA or
> > backup pieces to this special DG. Unmount from production. Mount on
> > test host and get backup from there.
>
> I'll show this to my SA and see how he likes it. Sounds a lot easier
> on the system than rsyncing all the data (especially after Sunday's
> level 0). The one issue would be that our restores and duplications
> currently take almost 9 hours (as do level 0 backups). So when I do a
> duplication to dev, I do this overnight, which is normally when the
> backups would run. To stick with that current process, I'd need the
> disk available to both.

As I mentioned, if you have dedicated DG for backup only (not FRA location) than you should be able to unmount it and temporary mount on your development machines subject to SA policies.

--
Best regards,
Alex Gorbachev

http://www.oracloid.com