RE: ASM question

From: Luca Canali <Luca.Canali_at_cern.ch>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 21:55:50 +0100

Amir,

From Oracle documentation: REQUIRED_MIRROR_FREE_MB, Amount of space that is required to be available in a given disk group in order to restore redundancy after one or more disk failures. The amount of space displayed in this column takes mirroring effects into account.

USABLE_FILE_MB , Amount of free space that can be safely utilized taking mirroring into account, and yet be able to restore redundancy after a disk failure (my comment: this number can become negative for example in case of disk failures)

A better explanation of the implications of this in http://blog.oracloid.com/2006/05/vldb-with-asm/

Cheers,
L.