RE: Oracle Configuration Manager

From: Best, David <David.Best_at_cognos.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 13:36:00 -0500

Nothing deceptive about it, you should read up on it via the Metalink tab "Configuration Manager". We've set it up on a couple of environments to test it out and it seems to speed up the process. I've always found that the first time you open a tar there is a period of back and forth with Oracle requesting information.

There is alot of information on Metalink about what information they are collecting, tutorials etc.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Ethan Post Sent: Monday, February 19, 2007 1:11 PM
To: oracle-l
Subject: Oracle Configuration Manager

One of my sysadmin's got this from Oracle today. They call it a "patch" but from what I can tell this would be a new install. Anyone have any specs on exactly what all this software monitors, how often does it "talk" to Oracle etc....this seems a bit deceptive to me.

        Subject: Patch Announcement

        Oracle strongly recommends that customers install patch 5567658*, following the instructions outlined in the ReadMe file.

        This patch will install Oracle Configuration Manager, our lightweight configuration collector that enables you to fully utilize the proactive support capabilities offered by Oracle Support¿s Configuration Support Manager (CSM).

        CSM provides you with:

· Healthchecks, Security and General Alerts ¿ specific to your configurations
· Track, manage and support - Oracle configurations and Service Requests

        Oracle is committed to delivering ongoing innovation in automated support to customers. Our improved online Service Request (SR) process, together with Configuration Support Manager (CSM), underscores that commitment¾by reducing the time and effort involved in logging SRs.

	Log SRs Faster
	Submit and track your SRs faster with:

· Simplified User Interface - Fewer screens, fewer questions, easier file uploads
· Save a Draft of Your SR - Edit and save a draft of your SR to submit later
· New ¿Problem Clarification¿ Field - Add more detail to clarify issues with pertinent information
Detailed information about CSM, Oracle Configuration Manager, and our SR process improvements are available on Oracle MetaLink. This message may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, disseminate or distribute it; do not open any attachments, delete it immediately from your system and notify the sender promptly by e-mail that you have done so. Thank you.