Manipulating ASM on Solaris

From: Hameed, Amir <Amir.Hameed_at_xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 14:32:55 -0500

Folks,
I am trying to add an ASM disk group on Solaris 9. The ASM instance is based on 10.2.0.2. I already have the raw partitions created and I have already validated that the raw partitions are working fine by adding one of the raw volumes to a tablespace on another instance running on the same server. When I issue the command to add a disk group in the ASM instance, I am getting the following error:

Show parameter asm_diskstring

asm_diskstring                       string
/dev/vx/dsk/ux016_RAW/*

create diskgroup DATA
external redundancy disk '/dev/vx/dsk/ux016_RAW/volraw_10' ;

create diskgroup DATA external redundancy disk '/dev/vx/dsk/ux016_RAW/volraw_10'
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-15018: diskgroup cannot be created
ORA-15031: disk specification '/dev/vx/dsk/ux016_RAW/volraw_10' matches no disks
ORA-15025: could not open disk '/dev/vx/dsk/ux016_RAW/volraw_10' ORA-27037: unable to obtain file status
SVR4 Error: 25: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Additional information: 16
Additional information: 97980412
Additional information: 215

I had no issues doing the same activity on Linux. Is there some special configuration needed for the raw volumes created for ASM on Solaris? Is anyone already using ASM on Solaris 9?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Amir