RE: q: RAC without RAC

From: Polarski, Bernard <Bernard.Polarski_at_atosorigin.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 08:16:26 +0100

First thing learn is that every RAC installation is unique, just for that reason you need a lot of DBA knowledge, at least clusterware knowledge which is totally useless for standard single Oracle EE. So bad for reduced complexity and DBA knowledge. After some installations you will realize or true it is to consider every installation as unique. Even on same platform, same OS, same setting, same release, I still see errors I have not previously met. That's only for standard way.

Bernard Polarski

Oracle DBA

From: Amihay Gonen [mailto:AmihayG_at_ectel.com]

You have your point .

But I see the following advantage :

  1. Try to minimize differences between standard installation and RAC installations.
  2. Manage database from remote (client) , stop & start - it will enable us to put it in some application to control it
  3. Reduce the complexity of startup/shutdown scripts (in unix , init.d , shell scripts ) - because we can instruct to the CRS to startup database and listener .
  4. Standard way to work with windows and UNIX
  5. less need for dba knowledge :-)

From: Alex Gorbachev [mailto:gorbyx_at_gmail.com] ....

"

On the other hand, how can I put it... I would seriously doubt it's worth to add the complexity of CRS for something that can be handled in more elegant way.

"

IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and proprietary to ECtel Ltd. They are intended for the named recipient(s) only. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, use, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.