RE: q: RAC without RAC

From: Amihay Gonen <AmihayG_at_ectel.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 08:26:37 +0200

You have your point .

But I see the following advantage :

  1. Try to minimize differences between standard installation and RAC installations.
  2. Manage database from remote (client) , stop & start - it will enable us to put it in some application to control it
  3. Reduce the complexity of startup/shutdown scripts (in unix , init.d , shell scripts ) - because we can instruct to the CRS to startup database and listener .
  4. Standard way to work with windows and UNIX
  5. less need for dba knowledge :-)

From: Alex Gorbachev [mailto:gorbyx_at_gmail.com] Sent: 13 February 2007 04:21
To: Amihay Gonen
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: q: RAC without RAC

Well, installing ASM on non-RAC node requires CSS daemon and it creates OCR on a normal file and it's marked as localconfig in ocr.loc. I guess it might create voting disk somewhere as well.

On the other hand, how can I put it... I would seriously doubt it's worth to add the complexity of CRS for something that can be handled in more elegant way.

On 2/12/07, Amihay Gonen <AmihayG_at_ectel.com> wrote:

I wander if you can use voting disk and ocr on as regualer files instead of raw device ?

this may help to install single instance node database , as be rac ready and it may be enable us to use srvctl as tool to start/stop database from remote in automatic manner.

--

Best regards,
Alex Gorbachev

The Pythian Group
Sr. Oracle DBA

http://www.pythian.com/blogs/author/alex/ http://blog.oracloid.com

IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and proprietary to ECtel Ltd. They are intended for the named recipient(s) only. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, use, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.
--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Feb 13 2007 - 00:26:37 CST