Re: What is Generating All these Connection Attempts to a Database That No Longer Exists?

From: Nigel Thomas <nigel_cl_thomas_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 08:56:56 -0800 (PST)

Sam >07-FEB-2007 10:31:36 * (CONNECT_DATA=(CID=(PROGRAM=)(HOST=__jdbc__)(USER=))(SERVICE_NAME=HAR521)) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=a.b.c.d)(PORT=pppp)) * establish * HAR521 * 12514 >TNS-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor Given the (HOST=__jdbc__) I think we can guess this is a JDBC driver which has the (obsolete) service details coded into a configuration file (or worse, hard-coded in the Java itself - yuk). Maybe the file is XML? then at least it's good'n'enterprisey, even if it's completely fubar. So one of your Java clients (and remember, an app server is also a client as far as Oracle RDBMS is concerned) is trying (and failing) to connect that frequently. It's quite possible that any user of that system doesn't see any problem, if the configuration includes a second, valid service to connect to instead. You could get the same kind of problem using Easy Connect - but at least users would be waving their hands in tha air and shouting if their favourite database service disappeared - I don't think Easy Connect supports failover. First stop - can you trace the IP address it's coming from, by turning trace on at the listener? you should get your answer within 5 minutes... Others can advise you on the correct lsnrctl settings... Regards Nigel