Re: OCM Oracle Certified Master exam preparation

From: Ranko Mosic <>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 11:38:09 -0500

Thanks guys for your time and input.
Some topics are not clear to me:

Server Configuration
[] Configure the network environment to allow connections to multiple databases - is this RAC ( TAF ) related, or just standard tnsnames.ora configuration

Enterprise Manager Grid Control
- 10gR1 Grid control is extremely buggy - I was able to install 10gR2 only;

   would this small ( but possibly significant ) difference matter ?

 [ ] Create notifications
- do I assume email is configured on the server, or I have to do it myself ?

Real Application Clusters
[ ] Install Oracle Clusterware
This is heavily OS dependent. United Linux is exam OS. If I prepare my exam on RedHat would it be close enough ?

Performance Management
[ ] Manage Services
What is this ? If RAC services then it should be under RAC ? If services as defined by service_names parameter, sys$background etc, then there is nothing to manage there.

[ ] Create and manage objects to accommodate different data access methods (schema tuning)
Do I care about hash clusters, IOT's, optimizer hints ?

Regards, Ranko

On 2/3/07, LS Cheng <> wrote:
> That is great advice.
> Last week I was looking at the candidate guide, everything were fine except
> the streams part and probably Grid Control. Overall the topics being covered
> are massive. A few months preparation on Streams should help.... Hopefully
> --
> On 2/3/07, Laurent Schneider <> wrote:
> > > But hey I am quite good find stuffs in the documentation, since we can
> >
> bring a copy of that to the exam I might be safe? :-P^
> > Definitely not!
> > The timing is so short that even if you have the documentation, you do not
> have time to search in it!
> > But do not worry about knowing everything. If you can keep your databases
> up and running and recover from any disaster, you will surely pass the
> exam... most people who failed at the exam just did not succeed in keeping
> the databases online at the end of every scenario

> Découvrez une nouvelle façon d'obtenir des réponses à toutes vos questions !
> Profitez des connaissances, des opinions et des expériences des internautes
> sur Yahoo! Questions/Réponses.

Ranko Mosic
Contract Senior Oracle DBA
B. Eng, Oracle 10g, 9i Certified Database Professional
Phone: 416-450-2785