RE: How many of you use S.A.M.E?

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 14:11:39 +0100

On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 12:54 -0500, Mark W. Farnham wrote: <snip>

> Finally, if perchance you acquire a disk farm that is 50/50 divided for test
> and production so that your load simulations in test will be "just like the
> real thing" make very certain you understand which way it was cut in half
> before you let someone start a load test after production is in service. If
> they allocated half the disks and half the channels, etc. to each, you'll be
> fine. If they cut each disk platter in half by definition of partitions....
> you likely won't be fine.

Exactly this happened at a CT site. A big CRM system came to a stand-still, rendering the call-centre unavailable, virtually stopping the business.
It took about half a day to discover that the new release of the software was tested/loadtested, and that the hotspot on a 'disk' of the QA/Test system collided with a hotspot on a 'disk' of the production system. Involved in the config were EMC DMX, hypers, numerous siloed departments trying to miscommunicate as closely as possible, and so on. Alas the division in departments (even 3 DBA-'divisions') didn't allow me to get involved, I was in a department that was too expensive to deal with production systems........

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===