problems with dblink in oracle 10.2.0.2

From: <genegurevich_at_discoverfinancial.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 09:32:05 -0600

Hi all:

I have spend 2 weeks trying to get help from Oracle support on this (time well wasted). Here is my issue.
I am running oracle 10.2.0. on aix 5.3 on a local server and on a remote server. I have oracle id externally
authenticated on both sides. I can connect as sqlplus / to local DB and as sqlplus /@remoteDB.
I have created a db link on a local database :

create database link remoteDB using 'remoteDB'

When I try to use it I get an error:

desc user_tables_at_remoteDB

 ERROR:
 ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
 ORA-02063: preceding line from PCCS03 (this is my remote DB)

The remote instance is up (I can tnsping id and connect via sqlplus). What is the problem here. I have been using
dblinks created this way in oracle 8 and 9 and never had this issue. Is there anything new in oracle 10 related to this? Does anyone know?

TIA Gene Gurevich