RE: Need to convert database characterset from WE8ISO8859P1 TO AL32UTF8

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 13:29:20 -0500

When the columns requiring any change at all are in a very small number of tables, that provides the option of comprehensive testing on just those tables (especially manageable if the total size of the objects is amenable to copying the relevant objects so you can review the results of testing from the easiest way to more difficult ways.

The csscan as I see the partial output below seems safe. (That doesn't mean you should skip testing...).

Without rechecking the documentation, I believe "convertible" means that the expressed length in the new character set will fit in the column as currently defined, while "truncation" means you would need to make the column wider before you convert to prevent truncation, while "lossy" means you have values in your current character set that cannot be expressed in the new character set. I'm confident someone on the list will object if I mis-remember or something has changed. I'm not aware of any characters in WE8ISO8859P1 that cannot be represented in AL32UTF8, but that is also pretty easy to test except for the field separator character and the actual null characters which may find difficult to insert into character (CHAR, VARCHAR2, LONG, CLOB) columns for testing.

Let's say you have a small number of tables that contain trouble. If you can take some small downtime and csalter won't handle all of them, you might find success by exporting the offenders, importing them into a correctly set character set new little database, then testing them by importing them into a converted clone of your existing database under a new schema so you can do exhaustive comparison of any differences easily on a row by row basis. Then if you are happy, for the real conversion you export those objects, rename or drop the originals, convert, and import. Being very safe can be tedious and boring, but then I've always preferred to be boring. BORING is good.

Regards,

mwf