Re: UNTO TBS behavior in 9i

From: Syed Jaffar Hussain <sjaffarhussain_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:40:53 +0300

Bernard,

Undo retention guarantee is introduced from version 10g and the the subject mattered is used version 9i.

Jaffar

On 1/23/07, Polarski, Bernard <Bernard.Polarski_at_atosorigin.com> wrote:
> Normally, undo_retention will be discarded if there is a undo need for a
> DML over consistent read unless the 'retention guarantee' clause is
> used. So I don't see why the reason behind the undo growth if you are
> doing intermediate commits.
>
> What is the value of the retention columns for the undo tablespace?
>
> select tablespace_name ,retention from dba_tablespaces
> where retention != 'NOT APPLY'
>
> TABLESPACE_NAME RETENTION
> ------------------------------ -----------
> UNDORBS NOGUARANTEE
>

> Bernard Polarski
> Oracle DBA
>
> At 02:19 PM Tuesday, Ram Raman wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >We are running a batch process to insert data from one table to
> >another. The data inserted is over than 10 million rows. We had
> >about 20GB of UNDO tablespace. UNDO_RETENTION is 7200. When we start
> >the insert process no other process runs and all the time during the
> >insert process nothing else runs. We insert about 5.5 Gb of data
> >including indexes.

Best Regards,
Syed Jaffar Hussain
8i,9i & 10g OCP DBA

I blog at :http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/

http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#hussain
"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."