Re: Data Pump and compress on the fly in Unix

From: Remigiusz Soko?owski <rems_at_wp-sa.pl>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 16:04:52 +0100

Niall Litchfield wrote:
> On 1/11/07, *James Foronda* <James.Foronda_at_sun.com
> <mailto:James.Foronda_at_sun.com>> wrote:
>
> To the best of my knowledge, Solaris 10 can not run SQL Server.
> Solaris
> 10 has ZFS, and ZFS has a 'compress' option.
>
> :)
>

> On the other hand it might not be the best platform for your database
> itself just yet http://blogs.sun.com/roch/date/20060922 - It'd be fun
> to see those numbers with compression on :(

well, ZFS is still maturing technology - AFAIK one need still UFS at least for boot partition.
Conclusion is one still needs two filesystem services so it is easy to use ZFS on separate partition designated for exports. Though I wouldn't recommend using it for production database of critical importance yet, I must say that it is perfect for storing exports - despite of compress option there is built-in consistency checking, so one can be sure no byte errors in stored files will arise

Remigiusz

--
Remigiusz Sokolowski <rems_at_wp-sa.pl>