Re: Remote automated installation of Oracle clients

From: Edgar Chupit <chupit_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 00:06:44 +0200

In our shop we are using automated installation of Oracle client at application startup time.

Our application is checking for installed Oracle client. If client version doesn't much with the one we are trying to install, it tries to uninstall old client and install new one.

As a client we are using Oracle Instant client 10.2.

To connect to our DB we are using new connect string format name/pass@//hostname/sid by using this format we can later change "address" of the server, simply by changing IP entry at DNS server. Because we have very heterogeneous network and only few databases we didn't even considered using OID/AD.

From our experience I can fully agree with Niall that a real pain in all this process is deinstallation of oracle client from user computers, especially when a user "for security reason" doesn't have enough privileges on his workstation. Uninstallation should be also performed with care, what if he has some other application, that you "don't care" about (or he has installed OracleXE to play with, or he has to connect to 8.0 database, but new oracle client doesn't support it), what should your script do? Uninstall it? Replace tnsnames.ora? Or what?

What we have done first of all: we have selected dozen different workstations (that were bought/installed at different time frames) analyzed its configurations and developed "patterns" to recognize standard configuration and to know how to correctly replace it. And than made a decision, that if we are not sure that we can uninstall Oracle client "safely" from workstation (if tnsnames.ora is different from default, if version is unknown, if user has oracle servers binaries, it is better to inform user describe a problem to him and ask him to contact us to solve this problem. Because in reality by changing Oracle client you are not only affecting your application configuration, but you are changing user workstation configuration. And if you will brake something at users workstation that user will be very angry at your department and your application. "Advanced" users never contact us, they are able to solve a problem by they own.

Of course we only have 350+ workstations spread over 30 sq.km.

--
Best regards,
Edgar Chupit