RE: Oracle Standard Edition & RAC

From: Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 13:47:22 -0800

There are an awful lot of systems out there that have time to do batch stuff (like stats etc) overnight, that would arguably do index creation out of hours as well and don't do 300M worth of data transfer/redo generation in a 10 minute window of normal use, let alone per second. A rather surprising number of these people believe they need/have been sold/want to imagine that they are large enough to need EE and not a 'Workgroup' product. I disagree with them:)

...I'm with you...so if SE fits 200-500 users and such systems don't need PQO-hence we label it "Workgroup", why Oracle at all? I'm not being "typically ascerbic Kevin" here. I don't know how app development on SE compares to, say SQL Server and what the portfolio of apps looks like with Oracle for workgroups over other databases. Can someome tell me why Oracle at all at such a low scale?