trouble with sql

From: Stephens, Chris <chris_stephens_at_admworld.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 14:33:31 -0600

There has got to be a way to do this but I can't find the syntax.

Essentially I need the max of column 3 grouped by column 1 and 2 and also the value of column 4 that corresponds to the returned columns 1,2, and 3.

Here is the actual sql that I believe to be using an unnecessary join:

select ps2.periodID, ps2.projectNumber, ps2.changeDate, ps3.statusID from ( select p.periodID, ps.projectNumber, max(ps.changeDate) as changeDate
 from period p, projectStatus ps
 where ps.changeDate >= trunc( p.startDate )

       and trunc( ps.changeDate ) <= p.endDate  group by p.periodID, ps.projectNumber ) ps2, projectStatus ps3 where ps2.projectNumber = ps3.projectNumber and ps2.changeDate = ps3.changeDate

Is there a better way to write this?

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
        This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by email reply.