Oracle on windows 2003 on vmware

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 15:27:31 -0500

List,

Our corporate wiz kid has decided to migrate our Oracle 10g database
from Linux to Windows2003 on Vmware.

Are there any special setup instruction needed to make this work
properly? Any references that I might have missed? I searched the OTN
but did not find anything that jumped out at me.

Linux server. 1 CPU, 4 GIG ram, 3 internal mount points for data.
Oracle setup with 1.6 GIG SGA

Windows VMWARE server. 1 CPU, 4 GIG ram, 3 mount points on SAN(2 fiber
channel 1 SATA) data. Oracle setup with 1.6 GIG SGA

Both servers have the same tables, partitions, and data loaded on one
mount point. In the Windows case it is the SATA SAN.

I set timing on.

I run the query select count(*) from a table that has 500,000,000
records and

 Linux = 4 min, 24.83 seconds

Windows = 19 min,53.19 seconds

The results are proportionatly the same for the other tables that have
millions of records.

Is there any helpful hints that we might have missed when we set up the
VMWARE ESX server for windows/oracle?

When I google for VMWARE and Oracle the results are for Linux and RAC
not windows. Maybe they are trying to tell me something.

Any usefull suggestions?

Thanks,

Ron Rogers

DBA

Georgia Lottery Corp.

404-215-5072

The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual
and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error
please contact the sender and delete the material from any
computer.