RE: ASM - Why doesnt ASM support alert logs and trace files?

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 13:14:21 -0500

I believe that the interest is in providing a minimum of code path so that the essential bits of an Oracle database can be most effectively and stably managed by ASM.

There does exist an Oracle Clustered File System as well, and I suppose it would be counterproductive to duplicate those features in ASM itself.

Finally, there is a bit of a catch twenty-two with the idea of storing diagnostic and administrative files that you might need to view for diagnosis or change to effect repairs when ASM or some key part of the hardware it needs to fully operate is unavailable.

Regards,

mwf