Re: Stored Outlines in 10gR1

From: A Joshi <ajoshi977_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 09:46:18 -0800 (PST)

Have you considered setting hidden parameter :

  _OPTIM_PEEK_USER_BINDS=FALSE   The default it true. for details metalink : 387394.1   when googling also do metalinking,askoming.   Do you have gather statistics using histograms? You can think of changing that since that will not involve much changes and will not need bounce. Thanks

"Daniel W. Fink" <daniel.fink_at_optimaldba.com> wrote:   I'm rtfming & googling and thought I'd aOL (ask Oracle-L) to learn some of the tips, tricks and traps for stored outlines. The scenario is that a 3rd party application is periodically generating a bad execution plan because of bind variable peeking. The runtime for a process goes from less than 5 minutes to over 2 hours. We can't touch the code, though we will be requesting that the vendor address this particular issue to really solve the problem.

In the meantime, we need to look for a solution we can implement, so my thoughts turn to stored outlines. Any advice, comments and warnings (especially!) are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Daniel Fink

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Dec 26 2006 - 11:46:18 CST