Re: Strange wait for what should be a fast query

From: Nigel Thomas <nigel_cl_thomas_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 16:53:55 +0800 (CST)

Charles

>> So I am thinking to myself (out loud), "Is there anything in Java that would
>> exhibit the same kind of behavior that Cary described?"

Excessive use of select from dual is a feature of Oracle's very own OC4J too, as well as WebLogic as Norman mentioned. The JDBC driver seems to check the connection status every time you acquire a session from the pool. See my blog post http://preferisco.blogspot.com/2006/04/is-this-oracle-wtf.html . (Oracle JDBC 10.1, thin driver). See bug 4601037.

Cheers Nigel