Re: Use of host command from scripted SQL)++

From: Phil Singer <psinger1_at_chartermi.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 22:54:03 -0500

Jared Still wrote:
> On 12/18/06, *Phil Singer* <psinger1_at_chartermi.net
> <mailto:psinger1_at_chartermi.net>> wrote:
>
> David Moss wrote:
>
> For example, where I
> work, the Powers That Be have decreed that DBI cannot be used. Cannot
> be installed anywhere. Too big a security risk.
>

> Can you elaborate on how it was determined that DBI is a security risk?

Your question presumes that there is a sane answer to it. Since I do not think that there is, I must make do with some background and speculation.

Background: A few years ago, these same Powers were very upset to learn that a Unix user named 'root' could access any file on the system.

Speculation: 1) Perl/DBI0 are Open Source. If a bug in either of them results in damage to the company, there is no one to sue. This is a big   risk.

2) Early versions (7 - 9 years ago) tended to have holes and hang servers, and it got a bad reputation.

3) Old Batch Perl scripts tend to have passwords coded in-line.

I gave up fighting this long ago.