Re: removing/masking sensitive data

From: Phil Singer <psinger1_at_chartermi.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 22:41:44 -0500 (EST)

Doug Gernaat wrote:
> if your task was to remove/mask sensitive data such
> as ssn/ccard numbers and those numbers are in multiple
> tables throughout your database, where would you start?
>
> if you are an oracle tool, what's your name?
> is an attempt to create a manual script reasonable?

I recently had the opportunity (successfully at that) to create such a manual script. I don't think that a 3rd party tool could have worked. Reason is that in _some_ of the tables, the ssn was in a column called 'data' iff a column called 'name' was 'xyz' and there was numeric data in cols 1 - 9 (or similar lack of logic).

If your data model is sane, then a tool might work, but an hour or two of clever work with dba_tab_columns ought to produce a script you can use.