Re: Use of host command from scripted SQL)++

From: Phil Singer <psinger1_at_chartermi.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 18:33:40 -0500

David Moss wrote:
> Mladen,

[snip]

> As an example, one of the first things I tried was getting user input
> from the command line into a procedure. It took me about a whole day to
> realize people were actually right in that it cannot be done, reason
> being that the procedures get compiled and run in the server which is
> completely separated from any input mechanism.

Actually, assuming that all you want to do is pass parameters to a batch sql*plus script, this is fairly easy to do. Whether it should be done in a given circumstance is a different question, one which I do not have time to get into here.

Because I respect Mladen's posts so much, I want to point out that the circumstances can vary widely and unexpectedly. For example, where I work, the Powers That Be have decreed that DBI cannot be used. Cannot be installed anywhere. Too big a security risk. PHP cannot be used at all. DBMS_SQL is suspect, but can be used. Awk can be used as cryptically as desired. The c-shell can be used. My solutions are not going to be the same as yours.