RE: Use of host command from scripted SQL)++

From: David Moss <David.Moss_at_fdmgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:20:54 -0000

Mladen,

I thought the very idea behind PL/SQL was to put procedural functionality behind SQL... and I do understand your point and respect it, but I'm fairly new to Oracle scriptting, I come from a 'proper' programming background and my first instincts when comfronted with a new toy is to look for its boundaries, limitations and see how far can it go. None of the stuff Im doing at the moment are going to be deployed anywhere (my SQL itself is probaby very bad too), however I'm trying to find these things ou first so I know whatt can be done and what is just plain impossible, and on the way any other relevant bits of knowledge. As an example, one of the first things I tried was getting user input from the command line into a procedure. It took me about a whole day to realize people were actually right in that it cannot be done, reason being that the procedures get compiled and run in the server which is completely separated from any input mechanism. This is a very good thing to know (not the fact that the user can't give input but thatt the way the code is run doesn't impact on what it does)

David.

PS Sorry for the double t's (my keyboard is repeating... not good when youre programming lol)