RE: ZFS snapshots

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 00:05:06 +0800

My contention is that ArchiveLog streams allow you PITR to any point in time.

If you take a snapshot you can only do an Instance Recovery to the point of the snapshot -- ie it would be like simulating a server failure and you restarting the database whereby it does a "Crash Recovery" because the datafiles were fuzzy (not in backup mode).

Hemant