RE: Julian Dyke's RAC book

From: Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 10:49:18 -0800

>>>I read the first 172 pages and I found only one thing I
>>>would do differently. He advocates putting archived logs on
>>>shared storage, but he did not caution against putting redo
>>>logs on OCFS. Problem with OCFS is that it can ONLY do
>>>direct I/O and

When I was doing the technical review of Julian's book I made that point as well. Note, however, that OCFS2 advertises support for general purpose usage so in theory you can put archived redo on OCFS2 and compress them. So, then you have this really nice provisioning model: ASM for Disk Groups, RAW of CSS/OCR, Ext3 for Oracle Home and OCFS2 for archived redo.

What a mess. I blog about this
here:
http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com/2006/10/19/oracle-espouses-tiered-stor age-asm-who/