Re: Julian Dyke's RAC book

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 23:13:01 -0500

On 11/19/2006 10:44:53 PM, Alex Gorbachev wrote:
> After visiting his presentation on UKOUG about RAC - I bet it's worth
> to read. As soon as I have my photos sorted, I'll blog about one
> particularly noticeable moment in his presentation.

I read the first 172 pages and I found only one thing I would do differently. He advocates putting archived logs on shared storage, but he did not caution against putting redo logs on OCFS. Problem with OCFS is that it can ONLY do direct I/O and file access utilities like RMAN are horribly slow. In other words, RMAN can benefit enormously from pre-fetch. I learned that the hard way. He did include the discussion about the OCFS block size, which is something that I learned about the hard way, by opening a TAR. So far, I am not disappointed, not in the least.
To be fair to Julian, he does suggest putting archives on NFS-mounted file system.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mladen-gogala.com