RE: Hot backup directly on tape?

From: Alessandro Vercelli <alever_at_libero.it>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 14:52:32 +0100

> Hi Allessandro
> There is nothing wrong with backing up directly to tape like you are

<cut>

> Login to the database
> Checkpoint the database
> Take the tablespace offline and place it into backup mode
> Then backup each datafile to tape (standard VMS tools )
> Take the tablespace out of backup mode and put the tablespace back on
> line
> Complete steps again for each tablespace.

<cut>

> I would also be pressuring your management to spend some money on the
> VMS server or alternatively planning your migration off to some other
> platform. You need more space and you could always be using an NFS

<cut>

> Cheers
>
> Peter

Hi Peter,
thanks for your reply.
The procedure you described is the same I used (except that tablespaces are placed in backup mode, not offline); luckily, I have the chance to use a spare system to make some tests, the test-test-test policy is the best in this case.

The migration to a more recent platform is not feasible at all, since application language is Pascal (!) and Oracle doesn't provide Pro*Pas libraries since 8.0.5, I guess.

Cheers,

Alessandro

Passa a Infostrada. ADSL e Telefono senza limiti e senza canone Telecom http://click.libero.it/infostrada17nov06