Hot backup directly on tape?

From: Alessandro Vercelli <alever_at_libero.it>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 21:37:32 +0100

Hi everybody,
I wrote an SQL script to perform hot backup of db on a VMS platform.

This is a well-known technique, but on system there isn't space available neither expandable for backup on disk before putting it on tape, so I thought to backup each datafile directly to tape; is this correct or my backup sets will be unusable?

Apart from Legato, I've no previous practice of db backup directly to tape, particularly on VMS; I believe that this platform is not much different from Unix for this specific topic, but I could be wrong.

Has anybody some suggestion and/or experience to tell about?

Thanks for you help,

Alessandro

Scopri MOTOROLA K1, la nuova icona di design Motorola.Clicca e vinci ! http://click.libero.it/motorola16nov

--