Re: Documentation every Database Shop should have

From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 19:02:17 -0700

You could always use a network scanner like NMAP.

It will easily report all servers listening on port 1521. If you want to make it a little more clever, you only (!) need to define an NMAP "profile" that allows it to recognise a SQLNET handshake, as it doesn't recognise SQLNET out of the box. (I don't personally know of anyone who has bothered, but how hard could it be?) ;-) Once you've done that, it is comparatively easy to find all (reachable) servers on your network running an Oracle listener on any port.

Of course, you'd want to get approval from your network security people before attempting this... ;-)

--
Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead