Re: Documentation every Database Shop should have

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 14:18:26 +0000

I have. He's called Santosh :(.

It would be easy enough to write a little utility that achieved the equivalent of the SQL Server utility and discovered all listeners that advertised themselves on the default ports - or I guess you could install a Grid Control agent on each server to achieve the same effect. The problem of course is those servers that are configured on non-default ports - the sqlserver utility last time I looked at it also didn't check ports other than 1433 btw which is good practice for a detection utility, so long as one remembers that automatic detection may fail for some systems.

cheers

On 11/7/06, Yechiel Adar <adar666_at_inter.net.il> wrote:

> I am missing one piece of software which I think is a must.
> Sql server have a utility that locate all sql servers installed on the
> network.
> Does anyone know about such a utility for Oracle.
> The first step in documenting is knowing what you have.
>
> Adar Yechiel
> Rechovot, Israel

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA