Re: rman backups

From: Bob <orcl_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 07:13:39 -0500

Hi Brian, Im surprised no one has mentioned that backing up with rman in no archive log mode will give you nothing more than an rman managed cold backup.

At first glance it looks sexy but you soon realize that you have nothing more than a cold backup.
Drawbacks to this (cold method) are:
database needs to be shutdown
any changes between backups would be lost.

Maybe you "cant" run in ALMode (management reasons) but if your goal is to "...become more intimate..." with rman- then archivelog mode is mandatory. The good thing about using rman is that it manages (deletes obsolete, applies recovery) of archive logs for you. Minimal manual intervention is needed to manage, or apply archive logs

Sexy (for me), is incremental merged backups with block change tracking ;-)
My 2cts
Bob

--
"Oracle error messages being what they are, do not
highlight the correct cause of fault, but will identify