bind variable

From: David Boyd <davidb158_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 08:41:02 -0500

Hi All,

We have lots of row level audit triggers that audit update and delete on every column for each row. Our database is 9.2.0.6 and cursor_sharing parameter is set to exact. Therefore the SQL statements in the trigger that differ in some literals are not shared. Let's say that we don't want change the cursor_sharing parameter and would like to use bind variable. But bind variable can not be used in the trigger. The alternative is to create a procedure that uses bind variable and is called by the trigger. Does any one have experience on this? How is the performance with calling the procedure from trigger back and forth? The database is shared by many home grow and vendor applications. If we change the cursor_sharing to force, what are the pros and cons?

Thanks for any input.

Dave

Add a Yahoo! contact to Windows Live Messenger for a chance to win a free trip!
http://www.imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/yahoo/default.aspx?locale=en-us&hmtagline