Re: Shared Pool causing packages to automatically go invalid!

From: Mindaugas Navickas <mnavickas_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 07:25:07 -0800 (PST)

Hi Paula, Here some answers - I do not have 8i installed, so I tried on 9i: -Is the last_ddl_time in user_objects the definitive time in which the package could have become invalid? NO. If package gets invalidated, last_ddl_time shows last recompilation time (time when package became valid). -Is there anyway for sure I can tell who, how, when a package became invalid? It's makes more sense to look into underlying objects - may be somebody is doing alter table... to set/reset constraint. This definetly will cause package invalidation. My understanding was that even truncate should invalidate package, however I can not see it happening on 9i. -The developer is saying that it relates to the size of the shared pool. Can the shared pool being "too" small cause a database object to just "go" invalid. I never heard of such a thing. I never heard about that as well. Look into objects that that package has dependency on: select p.object_name, p.object_type, p.created, p.last_ddl_time, p.status, d.owner, d.object_name, d.object_type, d.created, d.last_ddl_time, d.status from user_objects p, dba_objects d, user_dependencies x where p.object_name = 'TEST_ME' -- here is your package name and p.object_name = x.name and x.referenced_owner = d.owner and x.referenced_name = d.object_name and x.referenced_type = d.object_type; Are there db links involved among dependencies? Regards Mindaugas ----- Original Message ---- From: Paula Stankus <paulastankus_at_yahoo.com> To: oracle-l <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Wednesday, November 1, 2006 4:46:38 PM Subject: Shared Pool causing packages to automatically go invalid! Guys, Version: Oracle 8.1.7 - sigh I have been trying to get production owner accounts locked down to the dba group and not opened to vendor with turn-over and staffing issues. Today I spent a good deal of time (less time next time) tracing a performance emergency to one invalid package body. I have some questions: -Is the last_ddl_time in user_objects the definitive time in which the package could have become invalid? -Is there anyway for sure I can tell who, how, when a package became invalid? -The developer is saying that it relates to the size of the shared pool. Can the shared pool being "too" small cause a database object to just "go" invalid. I never heard of such a thing. Thanks, Paula