Re: cardinality/rows column in the explain plan

From: Mindaugas Navickas <mnavickas_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 09:10:09 -0700 (PDT)

"Rows" indicates how many rows Oracle expects to get from the table based on predicates/join conditions. It might scan all 53000, but return only 1634 rows to upper operation in execution plan. Mindaugas ----- Original Message ---- From: "ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net" <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net> To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 11:21:14 AM Subject: cardinality/rows column in the explain plan I am looking at an explain plan with set autotrace on. Table C has 53,000 rows. When I query dba_tables.num_rows it states that there are 53,000 rows. How can I have 'rows' of 1634 on a full table scan? Shouldn't it be all the rows in the table since Oracle is doing a full table scan? I get teh same number when I look at the cardinality column in the 'explain plan for'. I had though that Oracle got the rows for a full table scan from dba_tables.num_rows? I guess not.