RE: should one use ANSI join syntax when writing an Oracle application?

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 13:55:35 -0700

Here is what Oracle has to say about it - from http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/quer ies006.htm:

Oracle recommends that you use the FROM clause OUTER JOIN syntax rather than the Oracle join operator. Outer join queries that use the Oracle join operator (+) are subject to the following rules and restrictions, which do not apply to the FROM clause OUTER JOIN syntax:

        However, the following self join is valid:

	SELECT e1.employee_id, e1.manager_id, e2.employee_id
	   FROM employees e1, employees e2
	   WHERE e1.manager_id(+) = e2.employee_id;

* The (+) operator can be applied only to a column, not to an
arbitrary expression. However, an arbitrary expression can contain one or more columns marked with the (+) operator.