should one use ANSI join syntax when writing an Oracle application?

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 13:28:54 -0700

Let us suppose that I were to be writing a PL/SQL package that will be installed on a variety of databases in my company, and not all the databases are at the same version or patch level (but all are 9.2 and up). Would it be a good idea to use ANSI join syntax in the queries in the package? Knowing that a non-negligeable portion of the queries will be using outer joins? When I search on Metalink, I see bugs relating to the ANSI join syntax, but I also see bugs reported against the (+) style outer join syntax. Of the bugs I see mentioned on Metalink, many were "unpublished" bugs so I couldn't see the details.

I was thinking of using the ANSI join syntax because it is supposed to be easier to read and understand for people coming from non-Oracle environments, more portable, perhaps even "the wave of the future" (?) as I heard it described in one presentation.

Would it be a mistake to use the ANSI join syntax? Should I stick with the old-fashioned Oracle syntax for another year or so?