Re: Increasing certifications on oracle database, could increase reliability on dbas

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 12:48:37 -0700

Commenting as I read the presentation:
( and on my day off!)

Page 11: interesting observations

Page 13: I *love* the fact that you mentioned Code Complete I consider this essential reading for anyone that ever writes code. Sadly, many IT folks have not even reading it. I have fond memories of vacationing with this book, fine bourbon at my side, sitting under a large fir tree next to the Kings River in California. For 3 days. Yes, the book is that good.

Page 14: I am always humiliated if something preventable happens. Very embarrasing - yes, the best DBA battles are the ones that are never fought. (something of a conundrum eh?)

Page 17: I somewhat disagree with this. Backups are very important, but there is something even more important. Do you remember what the name of RMAN means? ( are you with me Carel-Jan?)

Page 18: Block corruption can be checked with DBWriter via the db_block_checksum and db_block_checking parameters.

Page 25: "DBA must prove innocence" - ain't it the truth!

Page 27: or "Stay off the bleeding edge and don't be a dinosaur"

Page 28: Security patches - stay off the bleeding edge.

Page 32: Normalize, normalize, normalize.

Page 39: Very sound advice. Sometimes hard to do, but pays off.

Jared

--
Jared Still