Re: COMMIT as a long running text

From: Alberto Dell'Era <alberto.dellera_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 16:28:40 +0200

> > One of our long running query alert was showing a customized
> > application having sql text COMMIT as running more than 2hrs.
> > We found out mutiple session sometimes having the same sql text.
> > considering considerable IO on server.

Assuming that is the COMMIT that is performing heavy IO, I'd guess
(a) a DEFERRED constraint, checked at commit time; especially

    a FK with no index, and your session having previously deleted     rows from the parent.
(b) a materialized view "refresh on commit", that gets refreshed badly

     at commit time. Especially look for MV logs that look empty
     but have a very high HWM.

Me, I'd trace the session (event 10046 and similar) to get a definitive answer about what the session was doing and waiting for during the COMMIT.

HTH
Alberto

--
Alberto Dell'Era