RE: datafiles space allocation algorithm

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 06:24:37 -0400

What manner of technology was the load? How many rows?

With the answers to those questions and a query including the file numbers for the datafiles and another with the rowid broken into the useful pieces and another adding up vsize(column_name) for each column in the table, plus an assurance that you don't have any columns that might be stored "out of line", we can answer your question. (Or the answer will become obvious to you as the query result spills out.)

Computing statistics on the table in question might also be useful if you're on a release that has statistics. You have tablespaces, so I'm pretty sure you're at least on Oracle Version 6.0, unless of course you aliased your column names in the query below.

From the data below you might only have two rows..

mwf