Re: An Oracle Linux distro

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 21:23:17 -0400

On 10/03/2006 06:37:18 PM, Kevin Closson wrote:

> So who on list here would find it a good thing if Larry puts out
> an Oracle distro? Would that mean yet another Linux distro to
> support, or would that replace the only distro you use more or less?

Personally, I'd advise my boss to completely ignore it. I know of two other vendors who manufacture both OS and a database and I don't like either of them. One was known as an "Infernal Bloody Monopoly" and although it has somewhat changed its ways, it's still difficult to deal with, expensive and slow to support the 3rd party hardware. Databases produced by that vendor are not very popular among the general public. The other vendor is on the west coast, in the town of Redmond where the shadows lie. The day they produce something that doesn't suck will be the day they start producing vacuum cleaners. Nuff said. I don't think that Oracle should join these two vendors. I will not mention these two vendors by name, to protect their privacy.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mladen-gogala.com