RE: Heads Up on Grid Control 10.2

From: Jesse, Rich <>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 12:14:07 -0500

Back on the thread topic, any thoughts as to wether my issues have been resolved?

The Linux install issues were most likely a one-shot and I believe that the listener warning was a separate issue not related specifically to GC. But the others were enough to tell me that there ain't no way in Hades I'm trusting my production DBs to this.

[] On Behalf Of Jared Still Sent: Friday, September 29, 2006 1:50 PM To: Allen, Brandon
Cc: oracle-l
Subject: Re: Heads Up on Grid Control 10.2

On 9/29/06, Allen, Brandon <> wrote:

        I haven't used GC yet - only the DB console, and I was a little put off by the new inteface at first, but it is pretty nice and powerful once you find your way around. My biggest gripe now is the stability - I have to restart the dbconsole server processes about once per week. I'd imagine the GC interface is almost exactly the same as the DB console, right? Do people typically have the same stability issues with GC?

I haven't heard anything about GC stability issues.

I've never used the dbconsole, so I can't comment too much on that.

A couple things I do know about the differences between GC and DBConsole.

The only instability I saw in the demo's was the one the instructor encountered, that
I have mentioned in another post.

There were absolutely no GC instabilities encountered by me or anyone around me
during the workshop. The biggest problem a few folks had was getting onto the
network. The guy next to me was using an old Compaq Notebook running Fedora 9. Though we were told that GC works best with IE 6.0, he had very few
problems using Firefox as the browser for GC. Certainly nothing that was a show

There are a couple of GC workshops scheduled in Phoenix, AZ and Salt Lake City, UT.

Don't know about workshops in other countries, though a search on would
likely find some others.

Jared Still