RE: Storing blobs in database vs filesystem

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 16:02:22 -0400

This is how we did things at Register.com, back in the day. We had ~14m blob objects that represented domain name information for things like DNS, WHOIS, etc. and instead of pulling that data in and out of the database constantly, we used UTL_FILE to dump the zonefiles out to a Netapp filer upon create/modify/delete, and then had the piles of servers pull the content directly off the filer. Reduced load on the databases, kept one path for information, and the only downside was managing the deletion of objects, which required some batch jobs and the like.

I'm a big believer in "cheap" vs. "expensive" processing. Oracle is almost always expensive processing, while other options may or may not be cheap processing.

Matt