Oracle 10g Grid table partitions

From: Mercadante, Thomas F \(LABOR\) <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:13:54 -0400

All,

I just looking through the 10g grid database and noticed that I have three partitioned tables with a ton of partitions:

SQL> select table_name, count(*) from user_tab_partitions

  2 group by table_name;

TABLE_NAME                       COUNT(*)

------------------------------ ----------
MGMT_METRICS_1DAY 700 MGMT_METRICS_1HOUR 366 MGMT_METRICS_RAW 8076 SYS_IOT_OVER_27433 8076

SQL>   The three metric tables have partitions dating back to when we installed the software - early 2005. The partitions do not have any data in them. I havew two questions

Does anyone else have these many partitions?

Is it safe to drop them?

10G Grid only keeps data for 7 days. The partitions are broken up by day. So why the heck does it keep these partitions hanging around? I submitted the same question to Metalink but thought I'd ask you as well.

By the way - the repository is already at 18Gig and growing. Not a light weight product.

Thanks

Tom

This transmission may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged information which is intended solely for use by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying or distribution of this transmission or its attachments is strictly prohibited. In addition, unauthorized access to this transmission may violate federal or State law, including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1985. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the transmission and its attachments.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Sep 15 2006 - 09:13:54 CDT