Re: Opinions on Indexing options for search capabilities

From: Gints Plivna <gints.plivna_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 11:51:32 +0300

I haven't understood a bit your requirements whether 1) a user can input any value e.g. "John" and your query should search it in every field (including person name, birthdate, salary, product name and disease name :) or
2) a user can choose any attribute e.g. person name and give search criterion for it - "John".

For the first task it almost looks like google :) For the second task I hope you can define one search result form with some identifying attributes helping user to understand what rows he/she found out. Here you can start from the very parent table, add up necessary joins to tables having attributes whose criteria were added and add predicates restricting search.
I think this thread for contexts is better http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:1288401763279 if
you haven't found it already.
And yea I've used this approach.

Gints Plivna