Oracle 32 bit Vs 64 bit

From: Nirmalya Das <nirmalya_at_hln.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 11:38:48 -0700

Currently we run Oracle standard edition (32 bit) on RHEL release 4 on an IBM 345 (x86) with 6GB of memory.

Here's what I am trying to accomplish:

  1. Trying to figure out whether 64 bit Oracle will improve performance.

I will appreciate if anyone could share their experience who has done such testing already and have established a performance matrix.

2. I am setting up a machine with 64 bit oracle. Trying to figure out the fastest way to set up the database with data from an existing 32 bit database.

I am trying to avoid exp/imp process really.

Here's what I am thinking:

Do you think that will work?
Is this a crazy idea......
If it works but the performance gain from 64 bit Oracle is nothing then take those data disks and move it to the old 32 bit machine.

Thanks all for your input.

Nirmalya