RE: Oracle 32 bit Vs 64 bit

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 11:48:06 -0700

We just had the 32 vs. 64 bit discussion a few weeks ago so you might want to search the archives. My understanding is that the only benefit of 64bit over 32bit is the ability to directly access much more RAM, so if your database will benefit from more RAM, and you're going to take advantage of the ability to give it more RAM on 64-bit, then you'll probably notice a significant improvement. If not, then you'd probably be better off sticking with 32-bit, unless the 64-bit machine also has other improvements (which is very likely) like a faster bus, faster memory access, faster/more disks, etc. - then you might get some performance boosts from those components regardless of the 64 vs. 32 bit address space.

Regards,
Brandon